The Recyclery Collective: The Recyclery Collective is an educational bike shop that promotes sustainability by giving access to tools, skills and opportunities for collaboration.
Job Description: The Recyclery Collective is hiring a bicycle mechanic to refurbish used bicycles for sale. Mechanics work 15 to 40 hours per week (negotiable.) The schedule is semi-flexible. The pay starts at $13 per hour. We expect at least a year long commitment to the position.
The mechanic’s primary task is the refurbishing of used (sometimes abused) bicycles for sale. The mechanic must meet our benchmarks for bike repair productivity. The mechanic is responsible for ensuring that the bicycles they fix meet The Recyclery’s standards for safety and aesthetic appeal. Working with one or more employee/collective members, mechanics also:
- Evaluate bicycle donations for repair or scrapping
- Help to transport bike donations
- Report their work to the Collective
- Maintain records of bikes fixed and repairs made
- Work with volunteers to maintain cleanliness and organization of our shop and storage spaces
Working with the Collective: The Recyclery is run by a volunteer collective which meets twice a month to decide issues impacting the direction of the organization and operates using a consensus process. These meetings are unpaid, and while the mechanic is not required to attend, they are encouraged to do so.
- Minimum of one year’s mechanical experience (in bike shop or equivalent experience)
- Experience working on a wide range of bikes dating back to the 1970s
- Strong work ethic, ability to self-motivate, and a willingness to ask for assistance
- Interest in furthering the mission of The Recyclery and upholding our safe space guidelines which you may read in our employee handbook.
Additional Skills Preferred
-Valid drivers’ license
The above description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. From time to time, and related to the nature of work performed to accomplish The Recyclery’s Mission, employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities.
The Recyclery Collective is an equal opportunity employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stand, walk, walk up and down stairs, lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
Please drop off resume and cover letter at our shop, located at 7628 N Paulina, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org, NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE